A few years ago, I gave myself a summer reading challenge to read at least five new books by non-American authors. It was a glorious summer of all new books, and some of the most reading I’d gotten to do in years.
Unfortunately, since that summer (which was at least four years ago), I haven’t gotten much leisure reading done outside of books I reread after studying them for my Master’s degree. This summer, as part of my Summer Writing Schedule, I decided to change that by demanding an hour of reading from myself every day; anything beyond that, in the evenings or wherever I fit it in, is purely because I can!
In the blissful anticipation of this new chance to get more reading done, I’ve put together a general list of books I intend to read this summer. Thanks to my beloved Kindle, I can virtually carry a library with me everywhere, which should make this summer of reading even easier! So without further ado, here’s my (rough draft) summer reading list, in no particular order:
1. The Best American Poetry 2011 (poetry anthology; David Lehman and Kevin Young)
2. The Best American Poetry 2010 (poetry anthology; David Lehman)
3. The Grey Album: On the Blackness of Blackness (nonfiction; Kevin Young)
4. Hip Logic (poetry; Terrance Hayes)
5. Redemption Song (fiction; Bertice Berry)
6. Survivors: The Morningstar Strain (fiction; Z.A. Recht)
7. Who’s Afraid of Post-Blackness (nonfiction; Toure)
8. Writing Poetry from the Inside Out (nonfiction/poetry; Sandford Lyne)
9. In the Woods (fiction; Tana French)
10. Black Cool: One Thousand Streams of Blackness (nonfiction; Rebecca Walker)
11. Don’t Kill the Birthday Girl: Tales from an Allergic Life (poetry; Sandra Beasley)
12. Les Misérables (fiction; Victor Hugo)
13. The Book Thief (fiction; Markus Zusak)
14. This Clumsy Living (poetry; Bob Hicok)
15. Native Guard (poetry; Natasha Trethewey)
Your turn: Which books are on your summer reading list?
Want to stay connected? I invite you to connect with me on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. And sign up for free email updates from this blog in the top right corner of the page.
Check out these previous Personal Update Wednesday posts on Our Lost Jungle: