|How much do I plan? This much. I create a new National|
Novel Writing Month calendar every year. This year I did 3.
Of course, I am also forced to acknowledge that I tend to be a lazy person. Writing things down, apparently, tends to be a bit too much work for me these days. So I tend to lose more ideas than I hang on to anymore, and when it comes to actually, you know, putting those ideas (half of which I forget) into play ... it's definitely a challenge.
So I've been working on that. Primarily, at this time, I've been working on actually having a plan for this blog. As a result, I started working on an editorial calendar for Our Lost Jungle. I hope to start implementing it as early as next Monday, and I hope everyone reading will enjoy some of the content I hope to have coming your way soon!
Here is the calendar as it stands now:
- Monday: Craft Tips--I love figuring out how to try and make my poetry better all the time, and figuring it out with other people is always a blast. So on Mondays I plan to share some of the writerly advice I've learned, as well as some themes and/or topics in the poetry world I've been thinking about and working with lately.
- Tuesday: Opportunities for Writers--Another thing I'm always on the lookout for are great contests and places to submit work. I plan to share some of my latest finds on Tuesdays. I'm not sure exactly how this one will look, but what I'm imagining are posts featuring one or two journals, events such as readings and conferences, contests, and so forth.
- Wednesday: Personal Updates--On Wednesdays I plan to share personal stories, past and present, tales from teaching, work, writing, etc., and other life updates and such.I guess as part of a writing community I think it's always a good idea to keep it personal--whether that means sharing recent successes (and "failures"--rejection notices, and art, will always be a part of this blog), stories from growing up, or other personal updates, it's all out there.
- Thursday: Online Finds--Pretty much what I'm envisioning for this day is sharing quotes for writers from writers, and other resources for writers (like the rejection letter generator). I don't picture doing this every Thursday, at least not at first, but as I find new and fun writing sites and resources, I definitely plan on sharing them!
- Friday: Fri-Write--On Fridays I plan to share some works in progress: primarily poems, but I also write fiction and creative nonfiction, so anything goes.
Want to stay connected? I invite you to connect with me on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. And sign up for free email updates from this blog in the top right corner of the page.